I recently visited a yarn store after a long break, since my stash had gotten very little. Another thought behind this visit was to make some winter accessories, maybe a big cowl and mittens. Artesano Aran is one of my favorite yarns, so I purchased the last 5 skeins of brown they had. To brighten the brown up a bit, I bought some white too. Back at home, I opened Ravelry and checked what others had made with the same amount of yarn. I was very surprised to notice that I had bought enough for a sweater! Hooray.
Ok, in this case I’m going to make a cardi, I decided.
It would have a short, open-ended zipper and striped sleeves (I have this thing about stripes, can’t help it). Though it’s easy to buy more yarn, I also decided to give myself a challenge and make this cardi with the yarn I had. To be sure, it was going to be knit from top down so I could adjust the lengths easily. At first I made the yoke, which was very promising since it took only 1 skein of yarn. I continued knitting the body and after I had completed the waist shaping, the stitches were left on hold.
The sleeves were interesting part. At first I made two different looking sleeves, one which had stripes all over it and the other one, which was the same as you can see on the photos. I didn’t like the all-striped version so I ripped it back. I knitted both sleeves until they were about ¾ length and set aside. I needed to be sure I have enough yarn to complete the body.
Meanwhile I got an idea about the hem – it would be shaped with short rows to make the front shorter and back longer. After the hem was done, I continued with the sleeves. At this point I had plenty of yarn left so I continued knitting the sleeves in garter stitch. I love how garter stitch looks, the yarn really makes the texture pop.
Sewing on the zipper was a success at the first try. Which I was really happy about since I really don’t have much experience on adding the zippers.
This cardi also got the similar flower as the Vammus-tunic before it.